«Schubert for a new generation of Lieder lovers»
Let the mill wheels turn and the waters roar once more as the young miller sets out on his way! Our work on this new English-Language version of «Die Schöne Müllerin» has been long and intense as the song-cycle is a masterpiece of great emotional depth. But at long last we are ready to share with the world what we’ve discovered and continue our mission of revitalizing Schubert’s wonderful songs with the sounds and musical vocabulary of the 21st century.
New album by The Erlkings: Die Schöne Müllerin
After the international success of our first album «The Erlkings» we are finally ready to bring you one of Schubert’s greatest works «Die Schöne Müllerin». This album will include all 20 songs of Schubert’s cycle in a unique arrangement by The Erlkings (voice, guitar, cello, tuba, trumpet, vibraphone and drums) as well as the 5 Müller poems which were not set to music, all reconstructed by our singer Bryan Benner into modern English and performed in that special Erlkings way.
The Erlkings are:
- Bryan Benner (voice and guitar)
- Ivan Turkalj (cello, ZHdK Alumni)
- Gabriel Hopfmüller (tuba and trumpet)
- Thomas Toppler (drum-kit and vibraphone)
- special guest Norman Shetler (speaker)
A large portion of the funds required for the new album we have already invested ourselves. However, here is a breakdown of the remaining costs we’ll need to realize our full vision of Die schöne Müllerin:
- Mixing and Mastering
- Original artwork and illustrations
- A small booklet with the new English texts
- Printing and distribution of the album
- Lilies for Schubert’s grave (if not available, then trockne Blumen)
Join us to be among the first to hear the new album and enjoy some of our exclusive rewards: Look super fly with a Schubert and The Erlkings themed temporary tattoo set or choose an order of special hand-made, Sicilian flower for your home bakery. Have you always wanted to hear the Erlkings live in your home or hear your favourite Schubert Song Erlkings-Style? This is your chance! We can’t wait to bring you our new vision of «Die Schöne Müllerin» and are so excited and grateful to have you as a collaborator!
Collaboration with PODIUM FESTIVAL:Esslingen
For over a year The Erlkings have been working closely together with the Podium Festival Esslingen to develop this large scale project. We were proud to premier our new arrangement of «Die Schöne Müllerin» at the Podium Festival this year as well as at the beautiful Radialsystem in Berlin. Once the album is finished, it will be premiered on the music curator app Henry, an innovative new platform by Podium Festival.
While working on D.S.M. we had the good fortune of coming into contact with the legendary Lied-Pianist Norman Shetler who worked with us on our interpretation of the piece. His will also be the voice you hear reading the Prologue and Epilogue on the new album!
UPCOMING SPECIAL CONCERTS:
- Kunsthaus Muerz, Mürzzuschlag on November 17th, 2017
- RELEASE CONCERT – Radiokulturhaus, Wien on March 28th, 2018
- Wiener Konzerthaus, Wien on May 18th, 2018
- Wigmore Hall, London on May 25th, 2018
- Der Zwerg Festival, Sindelfingen on July 29th, 2018
What do others say about The Erlkings?
- «What sounds like it would be a crossover nightmare to any classical music lover ends up being the most entertaining and exciting thing anyone’s done with Schubert in a long time» Opernwelt (06/2017)
- «A group of dedicated, talented and inspiring performers who really love Schubert. It’s a version in English for the 21st century, faithful to the original but…maybe you should come and hear for yourself.» Norman Shetler
- Martin Grubinger at KlickKlack / BR, Oct 10th 2017, watch video