The little spikey dude was just chilling with his darling when out of no where an interdimensional asteroid crashed near where they were hanging out. Curiosity got the best of them and they investigated the impact. They saw a weird glowing crater, as the little dude got closer something strange happened and he was accidentally teleported away from his home world into a strange and boxy world. Lost and confused the little dude needs to keep activating portals by collecting the magicubes to open up new worlds and levels, maybe one of them will lead him back home to his darling!
Sphoxie is already available on iOS but with your help it will be ported to Windows, Mac OSX, Linux and Android. The iOS version will also be replaced with the new ported version
You control a little ball dude with spikes and you must navigate the levels while collecting the 4 red cubes to open up the exit. There are also yellow cubes that can be collected for extra time, watch out there are different enemies who want to smother, annoy you and worst of all drain your time.
Many dangers and obstacles await, can you handle it?
- 24 fun and diverse levels
- Challenging boss fights
- Unique worlds
- Simple yet deep gameplay
- Climb on walls
- Beautiful visuals powered by the Unreal Engine 4
- Made by just one person
- Leaderboards (mobile only)
- Sketch Mode
- Play your own music (mobile only)
- Customization options for your character
- A lot of unlockables
- Race mode
- The entire game can be played with 1 hand
- Music by Anitek
- And lots more!
Time = Life – Sphoxie revolves around time, you start each level with 300 seconds and you need to reach the end before time runs out. However the yellow cubes give you extra precious seconds while the bad guys try to steal your time.
Climbing – Those spikes are not just there for decoration, they will help you grip some walls to get around levels in some interesting ways.
Slamming – While its usually best to avoid the enemies that are chasing you, sometimes it’s best to just face them head on. If you slam them hard enough a blast of energy will send them flying away. Be careful though because each blast will make the little dude a bit dizzy.
I’m the sole developer of Sphoxie, I’ve been into computers, technology and visual arts all my life.
I will use the money to take a month of my day job to be able to focus on making the port as polished and fun as possible. Everything that is left over will go towards marketing because if no one knows the game exists how will they buy it?
- «I’m finding Sphoxie to be quite challenging, but in a good way. It makes you think before jumping off a platform, and you have to think of ways to avoid being hugged to your doom. If 3-D platformers are your thing, then you don’t want to miss Sphoxie.» www.appadvice.com
- «The levels themselves are well designed and thus bring with some difficulties. So one has to not only roll over bridges or platforms, but also overcome huge canyons or escape enemies» www.appgefahren.de
- 4/5 – «The first thing that caught my attention were the graphics, which mix 3-D with the pixelated look. The game is powered by the Unreal Engine, so the 3-D is actually done very well. Everything from our spiky friend to the colorful and vibrant environments, to the cubed enemies, will look great on your Retina iDevices.» www.appslooking.com
- «The whole game is very colorful and can make similar like other games of this type «addicted»» www.portableplaying.de
- 4 Stars out of 4 – «Sphoxie is a game that seems at first glance a bit odd and frumpy. But once the ball starts to move and the first lines are completed, you can no longer put it down. Absolute addictive!» www.appgamers.de
Old Prod Vids
Have a look behind the curtains and see how it was put together. These videos show what development is like in the UDK. I will be making similar videos while porting Sphoxie over the Unreal Engine 4!
Warning, these might be a bit boring if you’re not into the technical part of things.
Take it for a spin!
Try the demo out for a spin so you can get an idea of what to expect. Just remember this is with the old engine, the final version will be on a new engine.