Fablab: an open technological maker space
What is a 3D printer? Could I be an accountant on Monday and make science on Thursday evenings? How can I cut a piece of wood with a laser? I’d like to fix my vacuum cleaner but where shall I start from?
In October 2017, the association Onl’Fait will open in Geneva a Fablab - contraction of the words Fabrication and Laboratory - to answer these and many more questions related to digital fabrication and technological DIY.
There is a lot of interest towards the maker movement - a technology-based extension of the traditional DIY culture – which remains often frustrated due to the lack of learning communal spaces for beginners and experts. A Fablab is a place where everybody - makers, children, artists, curious - is welcome to learn, make, share, fix, create, teach, fail, tinker and reflect on a sustainable approach to science & technology.
- Go to slide 1 out of 2.
- Go to slide 2 out of 2.
Onl'Fait: for you and with you
Onl’Fait will be the first educational Fablab in Geneva, a «third place» dedicated to science, technology and society, a space where to work, learn and teach in a collaborative environment.
In Geneva, only in our Fablab open every day you will find:
- Laser cutter
- Computer-controlled subtractive milling (CNC)
- 3D printer (FDM)
- Vinyl cutter
- Traditional tools and workshop machines
- Electronics station
And a portfolio of events and activities that will:
- promote the spirit and mindset shared by scientists and makers: analyse, research, create, modify, problems solve
- encourage inclusion in our community: from children to scientists. We will contribute to share scientific and technological knowledge in an innovative way, by supporting citizen science projects, a worldwide movement to democratise science.
- facilitate science learning by offering hands & minds-on programmes with a special attention to children and disadvantaged communities.
- support the open hardware and software movement to share, take ownership of, and contribute to science and technology knowledge and culture.
When the Do-it-Yourself becomes Do-it-Together
Onl’Fait is an educational no profit association with the objective to offer high quality programmes at reasonable costs. Your contribution will help us
- Complete the set-up of the space
- Develop and implement the first courses to our members
- Organise the first science, technology and society events
- Open daily
This campaign is supported by Science Booster : every Franc that you invest in Onl’Fait will be doubled by Science Booster!
If we will raise
- 25’000 CHF: we will develop a programme for young children
- 30’000 CHF: organise an HackaCon in 2018.
- 55’000 CHF: create a Fablab bus
A big thank to the Municipality of Geneva - programme Agenda 21 - G’Innove that allowed us to launch Onl’Fait by sponsoring the containers and their installation.
- Go to slide 1 out of 5.
- Go to slide 2 out of 5.
- Go to slide 3 out of 5.
- Go to slide 4 out of 5.
- Go to slide 5 out of 5.