All you need to get started
Benefit from 10 years of wemakeit’s crowdfunding experience and vastly increase your chances of success. Learn how crowdfunding campaigns work and receive expert tips from us. We’re here to support you and your project!
Your idea is suitable for crowdfunding if …
- you are a private person, organisation or company and want to finance a project.
- you are willing to involve your audience and customers in your project at an early stage.
- you want to build a strong network or expand an existing one.
- you’re looking for a smart way to test market and advance sell your product.
- you want to create interest around your project.
Crowdfunding is not for you if …
- you want to carry out your project in secret.
- you are looking for money without wanting to do anything for it.
- you don’t know anyone who would support your project.
- you want to issue shares or loans.
- you need a large six-figure investment.
This is how a wemakeit project happens
Would you like to know what to expect? What the stages of a crowdfunding campaign are? And what you need pay attention to and when? We have summarised all the important points for you.
01Create a project
What it’s all about
- First, you need to enter all of your project’s information in our interactive editor.
- This is free of charge and non-binding.
- Your project is not made public and you have an unlimited time to work on it.
- Once you have completed your project page, all the checkpoints in the editor’s «Cockpit» tab will turn green. This is when you can submit the project to our team for review.
This is especially important
- Your project description should be concise and personal. Describe clearly what you intend to do.
- Include 8-10 rewards. This will motivate your supporters to check out your project page.
- The more personal, the better. Use videos and pictures to show who is behind the project.
- Have someone proofread your texts and get feedback.
- Note that once your project has been launched, the text, target amount and duration cannot be changed. This means, it’s important not to submit anything until you feel everything is how you want it.
- Take a look at our Academy. It has lots of free material and worksheets.
- Get inspired! Take a look at successful projects in the same field.
02Plan your campaign
Here’s what you need to do
- Plan your communication strategy before the project starts. Think about who’s in your network and how you can best reach them.
- Your goal is to let everyone know about the project as soon as it goes online. Because remember, the all-or-nothing principle applies.
Here’s what you need to think about
- What story would you like to tell about your project?
- Who will you contact and when?
- What channels can you use? (e.g. personal emails, newsletters, social media, flyers).
- Who can help you spread the word about your project?
- Mobilise your family and friends first. This should get you get off to a good start.
- Second: contact a larger network, multipliers and journalists.
- Use communication channels creatively. Share varied content about your project. Ideally, use different formats (e.g. pictures, text, videos) and different stories (e.g. about you, about the project, about a special detail of the project).
- Your supporters are your best ambassadors. Motivate them to share your project with their network.
03Do a project check
This is what it’s all about
- Your project draft will be checked and approved by our project consultants.
- If necessary, we will give you suggestions for improvement and tips so you can revise and optimize your project page.
- Once your campaign is activated, you’re ready to go.
- Do you want your project to go online at a specific time? Take into consideration a period of at least 48 hours for the project check.
- Submit your project for its check sooner rather than later. You’ll receive valuable input from our professionals that can make your project site even more appealing.
Here’s what this stage is about
- wemakeit makes your project visible to the public.
- This is the most important phase in your crowdfunding campaign.
- Your project can be supported from this moment on. There is a live ticker that shows you how many supporters have already participated and how much is still missing to reach your target amount.
This is what’s important now
- This is where your full commitment is needed!
- The more people that get to know about your project, the better.
- Always make sure to share your project link, as it leads directly to your campaign page.
- Work on your campaign every day. Write to supporters, answer questions and contact the media.
- Starting off well is half the victory. Our experience shows that if you reach 20% to 30% of your funding goal in the first week, you’re almost guaranteed success.
- Be available for talks and queries.
- Use every opportunity to talk about your project.
- Think about how to keep your campaign exciting, e.g. by adding new rewards and posting updates.
- The final spurt is a tough one, so don’t sit back. If your target amount is still far away: Don’t give up too soon! Use this phase to do all you can until the very end.
- You must reach at least 100% of your funding goal for your project to be successful.
- You can exceed the funding goal by any amount.
- If your project is successful, you’ll receive your pay-out within 14 days, minus a 6% service fee and a 4% transaction fee.
- Should your project not be successful, you will bear no costs with us: if your project does not reach the target amount, your supporters are refunded their money. In such a scenario, we will not charge you for the use of our platform either.
This is important now
- Money is important, but it’s not the only thing that matters. Thank your supporters and keep them informed.
- Send out your rewards on time. If there are delays, communicate transparently and let your supporters know.
- Stay in close contact with your supporters even after your campaign is over - this is how you turn them into loyal fans and customers.
- Show project progress and inform them about the status quo.
All successful wemakeit projects have this in common
10 years of crowdfunding experience have shown us that certain factors are essential for project success. Let us tell you about them.
Attractive project page
The project page is your campaign’s flagship. It’s what persuades your supporters. Make it personal, clear, and creative! Introduce yourself too, as supporters want to know who’s behind the idea. Tell them briefly - but in a clear and understandable manner - what you intend to do. Offer unusual rewards – these help arouse interest.
A communication plan helps you better reach your supporters and will increase your chances of having success with your project. Good preparation is key. If you start planning in good time, you’ll have less stress when getting started. Make sure to start working on communication well in advance to ensure you don’t publish anything prematurely.
Your network is crucial to your project’s success. Your family, friends, acquaintances and existing fans and customers will be your first supporters. If you have a lot of supporters in the first phase, this helps build trust with those who will get to know your project through the campaign.
Would you like more support?
We’re here for you.
Would you like personal advice?
Our packages offer individual counselling that is tailored to your personal needs. They contain customised input, valuable crowdfunding materials and personal exchanges with our experts. You’ll be well prepared for your crowdfunding adventure!
Would you like to get to know us?
Our free introductory webinar familiarises you with crowdfunding. In just 40 minutes you’ll learn all the important tips and tricks and you’ll be able to ask us questions.
Need quick answers?
Take a look at our Q&A section. You’re bound to find quick and easy answers regarding many topics.